Calico Life Sciences, Postdoctoral Fellow
Who we are:
Calico is a research and development company whose mission is to harness advanced technologies to increase our understanding of the biology that controls lifespan. We will use that knowledge to devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives. Executing on this mission will require an unprecedented level of interdisciplinary effort and a long-term focus, for which funding is already in place.
Calico Postdoctoral Fellowship Program:
Calico’s postdoctoral fellowship program pairs recent PhD graduates with internal expertise to conduct fundamental and innovative research and investigate meaningful scientific questions aligned with our mission. Postdoctoral fellows at Calico receive mentorship and support to develop independent research programs to enable the next stage of their careers. In addition to direct mentorship from their host laboratories, postdoctoral fellows also benefit from collaboration with diverse scientists across Calico’s Research and Technology groups and are encouraged and supported to communicate their findings through high-impact, peer-reviewed scientific journals and scientific conferences.
Postdoctoral Fellowship Research Areas:
- Cardiac Aging
- Genomics and Cell Biology - Sidrauski Lab
- Tumor Cell Biology - Firestone Lab
- Computational Genomics - Kelley and Kimmel Labs
- Cell Biology - Stokoe Lab
- Biological Systems Modeling
- Fully integrated into Calico’s labs and community, postdoctoral fellows pursue new research directions with devoted resources for innovative and potentially high-risk research and bring new personalities, ideas, technology and perspectives to Calico.
- Calico’s program is a fixed-term educational assignment for individuals who have recently completed their PhD degrees and have had a meaningful first author paper accepted for publication and have made important contributions to science in their area.
- While postdocs will focus on their own project(s), mutually agreed to in principle and prior to making the decision to join the mentor’s lab, the expectation is that they all contribute to furthering our understanding of aging and age-related diseases.
- Postdoc assignments are up to four years in length. It is expected that the postdoc will receive regular feedback and guidance from their mentor in addition to participating in a more formal annual review process to review project progress and individual performance and provide career coaching.
- Our postdoc projects are expected to yield work that can be submitted for publication in a timely fashion upon completion of work and are intended to train people to become independent investigators in an academic or industry setting upon successful completion of the assignment.
- Calico postdocs join a community of other postdoctoral fellows who regularly engage with members of Calico’s scientific community, including senior leadership, through a variety of professional and career development opportunities.