As one of the largest employers in the region, the University Medicine Greifswald offers an attractive work environment for numerous professional groups.
As part of a Postdoc Start-up Grant on Advancing Digital Aspects from the German Center for Cardiovascular Research (DZHK), the following position is to be filled at the Institute of Bioinformatics at the University Medicine Greifswald from October 1st, 2021:
Research assistant /Doctoral student or postdoctoral fellow
Full-time limited for 1 year with the option for subsequent renewal
The limitation of the contract is based on the Science Contract Act (“Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz”).
In this DZHK-funded project "Standardized ECG processing pipeline for AI/ML-based classification of cardiovascular diseases" you are working on the development of open source methods for the automated processing of ECGs as a necessary and quality-assuring step for future federated learning projects of the DZHK.
Short description: This project provides the basis for the automated and standardized processing and analysis of large quantities of digital ECGs using new and innovative methods from the field of artificial intelligence. This includes recognition of new ECG patterns and new prediction models for cardiovascular diseases including myocardial infarction, atrial fibrillation and heart failure. Standardized and expandable processing steps will be applied to data from large cohort studies such as the “Hamburg City Health Study”, “Gutenberg Health Study”, “Study of Health in Pomerania”, “Cooperative Health Research in the Augsburg Region” and “Translational Registry for Cardiomyopathies”. Our pipeline will assure that ECGs obtained in different studies within and outside the DZHK are comparable and cross-location AI/ML projects utilizing large ECG datasets can be carried out on uniformly processed ECGs.
- convincing university degree (diploma/master's) in a STEM program or a methodologically experienced medical professional
- advanced programming knowledge in at least one programming language (R or Matlab or Python, preferably R)
- basic knowledge of machine and statistical learning methods
- experience in processing bio-signals is of advantage
- creativity in finding new solutions
- You work reliably and proactively and have a high level of commitment
- good written and spoken English knowledge
The continuation of the project and thus the possibility of continued employment is sought. Alternatively, there are positions to continue a possible doctorate at the Institute for Bioinformatics in the field of machine learning and modeling in virology.
The position is also suitable for PostDocs.
What we offer:
- within the DZHK partner site Greifswald, we offer tailored training to all researchers in the network, a framework of common scientific activities and mentorship
- You will find a highly motivated team that communicates openly and in an interdisciplinary manner
- independent and team-oriented work in a friendly and ambitious atmosphere
- the salary scale is according to the tariff TV-L. If you meet the collective bargaining requirements, you will be assigned to salary group E 13
- occupational pension provision
- Greifswald is an innovative university city on the Baltic coast with high recreational value
- to support compatibility of family and career the UMG offers support in the search for child care or apartments through the service office “PFIFF”
Please submit your application with the usual documents, quoting the reference number 21/Be/23 by E-Mail until July 18, 2021 to:
If you have any questions, please contact the project manager Dr. Marcus Vollmer (email@example.com, 0049 3834-86-5444).
At the University Medicine Greifswald, we wish to promote careers of women in areas in which they are underrepresented. Therefore, we encourage female candidates to send us their applications. In the case of equal qualifications, female applicants will be given preferential consideration. Our jobs are also suitable for part-time employment. If according applications are received it will be examined whether the extent of part-time wishes is applicable in the context of the required profile. Severely disabled applicants with equal aptitude will be given preferential consideration.Application costs and expenses occurred as a result of the interview cannot be compensated.