THE POSITION: Medicine – Clinical Cardiology Date: October 2022
The New Brunswick Heart Centre (NBHC - https://nbheartcentre.ca/ ) and the Department of Medicine, affiliated with Dalhousie University New Brunswick Medical School, is looking for a Clinical Cardiologist to join our team. The NBHC is located at the Saint John Regional Hospital, Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada. The NBHC is the sole tertiary cardiac care program in the province of New Brunswick. It serves the Province of New Brunswick for advanced cardiac care (population of 780 thousand), is the only cardiac catheterization and cardiac surgical center in New Brunswick performing over 4000 cardiac cath and more than 900 surgical interventions yearly. As such the NBHC includes more than 25 physicians, from various sub-specialties, who work and function as a well-established and collaborative “Heart Team” that strives to provide modern clinical care to address valvular heart disease, ischemic heart disease, aortic conditions and heart failure.
A successful candidate will have the opportunity to take over a comprehensive full-time community-based practice in Cardiology providing both outpatient and inpatient services under the auspices of the Medical Specialties Program. The size of one’s outpatient practice is entirely dependent one’s desire to grow the practice. Generally speaking, inpatient services represent 15-20% of one’s time. He or she would be joining a group of other (5 at the moment) clinical cardiologist who share access to all echocardiography and electrodiagnostic investigations. The position also includes 6-8 weeks of Coronary Care experience and participation in the on-call rota (with 14 other cardiologists from various sub-specialty) of the NB Heart Centre at the Saint John Regional Hospital.
Academic cross appointment at both Dalhousie University or/and Memorial University is valued and part of ensuring quality of care. Members of the NBHC have excellent opportunities for educational and research endeavors in addition to their clinical responsibilities. Information regarding faculty appointments is available upon request.
Horizon has an annual budget of approximately $1.1 billion and has more than 12,600 employees, 1,100 physicians and 5,200 volunteers, auxiliary and alumnae members, as well as 17 foundations and 18 auxiliary and alumnae organizations. The hospital is also home to a thriving ambulatory Surgical Centre, a comprehensive Breast Health Program, women’s health services, various medical and surgical clinics, diagnostic/ therapeutic services, an Urgent Care Centre and the New Brunswick Eye and Tissue Bank. For more information, visit the Horizon Health Network website at www.horizonnb.ca
The listed responsibilities are basic. Additional duties may be assigned, by the Medical Director of the NB Heart Centre, the Chief of Medicine or Chief of Staff as may be necessary to the operation of the NB Heart Centre and Horizon Health Network:
- Provide comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnostic services.
- Hours of work are normally provided during the week Monday to Friday to provide cardiology services for the Province.After-hours and weekend call coverage in coordination with members of the NB Heart Centre
- Ensure adequate coverage for your patients during times of absence.
- Participate in on-call responsibilities as defined by the Medical Director of the NB Heart Centre.
- Participate in rotations in the Cardiac Care Unit (CCU).
- Participate in medical practice that is compatible with the Health Authority’s mission, values and strategic directions.
REMUNERATION (range $500,000-800,000/year):
Standard remuneration is Fee-for-Service which is a direct compensation between the physician and Medicare of New Brunswick. On call remuneration is provided. No source deductions can be provided. One should note that Daily and weekly coverage of the CCU is currently being negotiated with Government to become an alternate funding package and not fee-for service.
- Candidates may be eligible for a Provincial Recruitment Incentive with a Return of Service Agreement.
- Moving Expense Allowance.
EXPECTED START DATE: The position is now open and currently available.
ABOUT THE COMMUNITY:
Situated on the Bay of Fundy, Saint John offers urban sophistication combined with small-town friendliness (https://youtube/wCKTTd95mb0). The area provides four season recreational opportunities, such as skiing, hiking, sailing, and miles of coastline.
A playground in Atlantic Canada surrounded by fresh waterways on one side and the ocean on the other.
With a community of Maritime and Acadian people whose rich friendly culture will include you.
To a community where families are able to raise their children in a safe, close-knit environment with a reasonable cost of living.
The Saint John area offers you a broad range of affordable housing options, from heritage properties to executive homes within the city and in nearby Kennebecasis Valley. Saint John, a booming harbor city is Canada's oldest incorporated city (1785) and home to the country's oldest museum and farmers' market. For spouses and families, there are excellent employment and educational prospects. The nearby towns and villages, such as St. Stephen, Sussex, and Grand Manan, provide a diverse selection of recreational and sport activities that appeal to all age groups.
- A medical degree is required.
- Certification with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as a Specialist in Cardiology or equivalent that will be reviewed and approved by the College in New Brunswick.
- Candidates must be eligible for licensure with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of New Brunswick.
- Proficiency in English is required. New Brunswick is a bilingual Province and as such French language proficiency is an asset.
- In accordance with immigration requirements, preference will be given to Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and team-building skills.
Applicants are invited to forward their CV to Erin Richard the administrative assistant to Dr Jean-Francois Legare Medical Director of the NBHC. The address is 400 University Avenue, PO Box 5200, Saint John NB E2L 4L4 Fax: (506) 648-7020 or Email: Erin.Richards@horizonnb.ca, firstname.lastname@example.org